Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Happenings
I haven't been blogging very long and I am already a blog slacker. Not a good sign for things to come. Work last week was more of the same. Mean landlords, people not paying their rent, and a lot of no shows for appointments.

Last week at some point Adam decided that he didn't want to wait for the Marines to move his stuff because they were taking too long. Instead he decided to pack up the apartment and load it up on a truck on his own. I think he had a little help with the actual loading but that's it. He left San Diego Friday afternoon and got to Utah early (read 2 a.m.) Saturday morning. Lettie, Mom, and I all went down on Friday so that we could be there to help him unload on Saturday. As planned we got up early Saturday and helped them unload the truck. Lots of people showed up to help, including two of their neighbors. Everyone seemed really nice.

That afternoon we went out to Outback for dinner along with the entire De Los Reyes crew (minus Kari Jo). After dinner Adam had to get to the airport to fly back to San Diego.

Lettie, Mom, and I then drove back to Pocatello. I ended up staying out really late with Omar and friends, but we had a good time.

On Sunday Lettie, Mom, and I drove to Rigby to eat lunch with a bunch of my Aunts and Uncles. It was a good time. When we first got there Uncle Brent was doing stuff with his cows so Lettie and I went out to join him. He had just gotten a new shipment of calves in and was giving some of them medicine. One of the older cows (probably 8-12 months old) had been bloating so we went out to check on it. When we found it, it was still bloated and having a hard time breathing. For those of you who haven't spent much time on a farm, when a cow gets really bloated they have a hard time getting rid of the excess gas. If they can't belch or fart it out then something has to be done or the cow will pretty much suffocate to death because of the extreme pressure on their diaphram. If nothing is helping the cow then you are forced to stab the it in the side so that air can finally escape. Well Uncle Brent had done this the day before and the cow was still bloated so he was forced to cut the cow again. Since Lettie and I were with him he had us hold the cow while he stabbed a screwdriver into the cut made the day before (he had to do this to find the hole in stomach and line it up with the hole in the skin) and then he inserted a rubber plunger type thing to keep the holes open and allow the air to escape. So there I was standing in this cow pen, with the smell of manure and cow urine wafting through the air, the sun beating down on my face to the tune of almost 100 degrees, along with the whooooooooooosh sound coming out of the cow's stomach. All of these things put together made me a little queasy. I had to excuse myself to the truck.

After lunch was over I rode with my Uncle Kay back down to Utah. I had a practice interview on Monday so I stayed at his house down there.

On Monday I got up and went to the practice interview. I met with a guy named Brad Jacobsen that practiced in a mid-sized firm in Salt Lake. He graduated in the early 90's from NYU and had been in Salt Lake for a few years. He gave me some really helpful advice and then took me to lunch along with another associate that went to New York law school. We all discussed NY over lunch. Brad worked for Cadwalader in NY after law school so I asked him if he knew Mer's dad. He happened to have left before D-Block moved to Cadwalader but he knew of him and the other guy had interviewed there so he knew him also. I guess it's a small world after all.

After the interview I stopped by Barnes & Noble to pick up a few books and then headed back to Pocatello. Went out to dinner with Omar and one of his friends and then helped Omar paint until I went home to go to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home