Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Happenings
So I left work early on Thursday (around 3), I didn't go to work on Friday, and Monday was a holiday. You may be asking yourself, what in the world did Marcos do with such a long weekend? Well I am about to tell you. I went to Park City Utah with Mer.

Her plane was supposed to get in at 6:30ish so she insisted that I leave work at 3:30 so that she didn't have to wait at the airport. Well I did leave at 3:30, got there at 5:45 and the plane didn't land until 7ish. Oh well, its not like I was doing anything at work.

Park City, for those of you who have never been there, is a beautiful place. I was thinking that summertime would be it's off season, since it is known for its skiing, but it seems that it never really has an off season. When we got there on Thursday it was pretty much dead. By the time Friday afternoon rolled around people were starting to show up and by Sunday it was packed. The place we stayed in had a really cool pool (that I forgot to take pictures of) and we were at the base of the mountain so there was plenty of hiking. Hiking, swimming, and eating were pretty much my three main activities for the weekend. On Sunday the resort had a concert so we went to that along with everyone else in Park City.

Mer and I decided that we wanted to partake is some type of outdoor adventure while we were there so we designated Saturday as the day it would take place. Our options were fly fishing, white water rafting, 'sea' kyaking (I was puzzled by this one since Utah land locked), or horseback riding. So we went hiking. I really wanted to fly fish but it was $300+. My second choice was rafting but Mer chickened out because she was convinced that she would drown. Sea kyaking cost the same as rafting but it seemed pretty boring. As for horseback riding, I have ridden a few times and evidently Meredith has not and she didn't want to go for the first time with an 'expert'. So with all of those options canceled out, hiking was the only thing left (besides swimming at the pool and that isn't much of an adventure).

So hiking it was. We ate breakfast at the resort's restaurant (which was pretty expensive but really good) then headed out on our trek. We were gone all of about 15 minutes when Mer needed her first break. It wasn't a good sign for things to come. The trail was extremely steep and it was incredibly hot. We climbed for about 45 minutes, got about 2/3's of the way up, and Mer had, had enough. I tried to convince her to follow me to the top but she refused since she had already climbed twice as far as she wanted. I should make a note here that unlike everyone else we saw hiking, we decided we didn't need a map and even though those people had maps, 4 of them tried to follow us. They soon realized that I didn't know where I was going and turned around. I like to think that it was really because the path we had taken was so arduous that they couldn't possibly keep up but I think it had more to do with the fact that we looked lost.

Since we had gotten so close to the top and didn't quite make it, I decided that I would try again the next day. It didn't take very long to realize that even though we were 2/3's of the way up the hardest part was still to come. On a stretch of trail that was about 30 yards long I had to stop and rest 3 times. Not because I am that lazy but because it was that steep. When I finally got to the top, I was dead.

On the last day that we were there we went to Olympic park and looked around for a few minutes. Not a whole lot to see but the bobsled track was interesting as was the summer jump for the freestyle skiers. All in all it was a fun weekend.

I should publicly thank the Block Foundation for their funding of the trip.

2 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about time. Thanks for finally posting. I knew you were up to something, I just didn't know what.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Adam Arellano said...

who is meredith?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home